The Essentials Certificate and Advanced Certificate courses have been structured to offer two days of stimulating and interactive learning. The two certificates provide board members, or those keen on governance, the necessary skills and tools development to help them be successful in their roles.These two certificate courses are offered at no cost until April 1, 2019.
- Explain their legal PCN model and apply the language in the context of the PCN's operation.
- Describe the value and strength of both joint venture partners creating a positive relationship.
- Recall the basics of the provincial PCN structure committees within primary care.
- Outline the funding model for the PCN with Alberta Health.
- Define the basic elements of financial statements and how they impact the operation of the board.
- Develop a scope of comprehension of the role of the board and of the individual board member governing the PCN.
- Articulate the legal and moral accountabilities of the board including fiduciary responsibilities.
- Demonstrate a comprehension of the board's role as an employer of the Executive Director and or Medical Director.
- Explain the annual board process for setting the performance goals, appraisals, and salary review for the ED/MD.
- Demonstrate an understanding of process to ensure Conflict of Interest is avoided.
- Explain how your PCN's mission, vision and values relate to your Board's policies.
- Outline the key points that describe how the patient medical home model is at the heart of primary care in Alberta.
- Create a succession plan for an individual PCN.
- Analyze and assess key elements of financial statements and how they interrelate.
- Examine and interpret financial patterns and trends (within healthcare).
- Examine the role of the external auditor and the audit process.
- Identify key areas of risk in financial statements.
- Explore and evaluate the relationship between the PMH and the acute system to achieve improvements in the care coordination.
- Effectively recruit quality candidates for the positions of Executive Director and/or Medical Director.
- Create a plan for success by effectively orienting and onboarding new ED/MD.
- Diagram their expectations of the ED/MD with them, assess their progress, and agree on performance goals annually.
- Manage the process of voluntary or involuntary termination of an ED/MD effectively and in a way that limits the PCN's exposure to risk.