The Calgary West Central Primary Care Network (CWC PCN) works in partnership with member physicians to help build and sustain a community of patient-centred medical homes.
We support this community of medical homes by providing programs and services that enhance the care that patients receive through their family doctor.
These services include Patient Care Teams (PCTs), who work with family physicians with an emphasis on chronic disease management, health promotion, disease and injury prevention and improved care of medically complex and chronically ill patients.
Patient Care Teams consist of behavioural health consultants, nurses, patient care coordinators and social workers.
Behavioural Health Consultants (BHCs)
BHCs work in physician clinics and see individuals, couples and families for a wide-range of issues including depression, anxiety, stress, relationship issues and sleep concerns.
Nurses (LPN, GNC, RN)
Our nurses work collaboratively with family physicians and other Patient Care Team members to create comprehensive care plans for patients. Nurses provide education, resources, community and PCN referrals, as well as motivational interviewing to help increase the overall health and well-being of patients. Nursing team members include primary care nurses, geriatric nurse consultants, licensed practical nurses and maternity care nurses.
Patient Care Coordinators (PCCs)
PCCs help doctors gain a better understanding of their patients' needs by arranging well-organized patient visits and coordinating appointments, including recommended screening, disease prevention and health management.
Social workers connect with patients as often as required to determine their needs and refer them to appropriate resources for ongoing assistance. Social workers are based out of the Primary Care Centre near Chinook and sessions are conducted in the clinic or at the patient's home.
In addition to Patient Care Teams, other CWC PCN services that support the medical home include:
- Enhanced access to the Primary Care Centre with a seven-day-a-week, same day appointment service for patients in immediate need who are referred by their PCN family physician or Health Link. This referral service provides an alternative to the walk-in system or a visit to the emergency room.
- Access to a physician through the Primary Care Centre for patients who do not yet have a family doctor.
- Helping to ensure you have a doctor and that you maintain a strong connection with them.
Primary Care Centre (PCC) near Chinook
Operated by the Calgary West Central Primary Care Network (CWC PCN), this clinic provides the following additional services:
- The PCC offers enhanced access with a seven-day-a-week, same day appointment service for patients in immediate need who are referred by their PCN family physician. Available from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. weekdays and from 1 to 4 p.m. on weekends and holidays, this referral service provides an alternative to the walk-in system or a visit to the ER. Instead, patients unable to see their PCN member physician receive an appointment at our comfortable centrally located clinic. On evenings and weekends patients can also call Health Link if their physician's practice is closed and, if appropriate, will be referred to the PCC. This service is available by referral and appointment only and is available 365 days a year to patients whose family physician is a member of the CWC PCN.
- The PCC provides a transition service where patients can receive care and assistance in being attached to a family doctor. It is an appointment-based clinic that does not see patients on a long-term basis.